This SDL comprises 390 hectares of land already zoned for marine-related industry, compatible or complimentary industries and enterprises which require deep water access. Plans are in place to zone another 160 hectares bringing the entire zoned land bank up to 550 hectares.
Shannon LNG Project
- Full Planning Permission has been granted to Shannon LNG, a subsidiary of US Corporation HESS International, to build a Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) importation and storage terminal on a portion of the site extending to 104 Ha.
- Permission also granted to build a 500 MW Combined Heat & Power (CHP) plant.
- Permitted export capacity of 1 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day
- Storage capacity of 4 tanks of 200,000 cubic meters capacity each
- 26km 30 inch pipeline and AGI connection permitted to connect to the National natural gas grid
It is anticipated that the construction of the Shannon LNG terminal will result in substantial improvements in services infrastructure on the land bank and will position the area as a major National centre for facilities requiring access to deep water and with substantial requirements for electricity and natural gas.
Infrastructure and Material Assets
- The site lies close to the National Primary road (N69) which connects with Limerick City and onwards to the National motorway network, route currently subject to significant upgrade plans
- Road access via Limerick Tunnel to Shannon International Airport which provides daily flights to major hubs in the USA, UK and Europe in addition to air freight services.
- Development proposals may need to consider an on-site Waste Water Treatment plant subject to the volume and characteristics of effluent to be treated.
- The proximity of Tarbert Power Station and the 900 MW coal-fired station at Moneypoint across the estuary ensures that the area is well served with 220 kV and 110 kV power lines.
- Permission granted to Shannon LNG to connect to the national natural gas grid via a 26km 30 inch pipeline will bring Natural Gas to the land bank.
- 390 Hectares of zoned lands available immediately for development
- Excellent green-field development site on the Southern shore of the Shannon Estuary with access to deep water (up to 23m)
- This SDL benefits from both statutory and policy support at local and National level
- Site already subjected to Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA, Strategic Flood Risk Assessment and Appropriate Assessment (AA) as required by EU legislation and thus comes with the attraction of significantly reduced development risk
- Within the limits of SFPC, an existing EU Ten-T Tier One Port, which currently handles vessels up to 200,000 dwt