This SDL is located outside the settlement boundary of Kiladysert, off the R473, on the northern shores of the Shannon Estuary. It is accessed via a minor road the L-2132. There is an existing pier and a large pocket of deep water (c.15m+).
The site occupies a strategic location along the northern shore of the Shannon Estuary in close proximity to Shannon International Airport and directly opposite the existing Port of Foynes. The SDL is accessed via a minor road L-2132 off the main R473 road from Clarecastle to Kilrush. The SDL is located within the South West Zone in the Mid West Regional Planning Guidelines, indicating potential for growth in commercial/regional facilities for Foreign Direct Investment and indigenous industry, enterprise and culture. The Guidelines indicate that the potential of the Estuary must be harnessed, even at locations outside existing settlements.
This SDL is prioritized for marine related industry; however, it is also identified as offering development potential for appropriate Marine Leisure, Tourism and Recreation. Opportunities may exist to create synergies with lands adjacent to Cahiracon House (which faces across the Shannon estuary and is located approximately one kilometer to the southwest of the SDL and offers a future potential linkage or synergy to the site at Cahiracon) or as a multiuse maritime industry, incorporating components to potentially cater for cruise ship berths, enabling tourism linkages with the wider tourism offering in County Clare and the Mid-West Region. Alternative compatible land uses may be acceptable where the ability to deliver the primary use (maritime industry) is not compromised.
- The 220kV line runs in close proximity to the site with local electricity supplied up to 35kV
- The Galway to Limerick high-pressure Natural Gas pipeline (70 bar pressure) is located approx. 0.5km to the west of the site, a spur from the main pipeline would be required to bring gas to the site.
- Public water is supplied by the Killadysert Public water supply sourced from Gortglass Lough/ Cloonsnaghta Lough. There is sufficient treatment capacity to cater for future expansion.
- 65.94 Hectares of zoned land available for development
- Adjacent to existing port of Foynes and Foynes Island SDLs forming a key strategic marine industry cluster
- Water depth 15m+
- A considerable area of hinterland available in close proximity to the R473
- Proximity to Shannon International airport
- This SDL benefits from both statutory and policy support at local and National level.
- A well sheltered location with an existing pier offering direct access to a large pocket of well sheltered deep water and the main navigation channel
- A previously permitted major industrial development on the site
- An opportunity to redevelop and re-use existing marine infrastructure at the existing pier